Sunday, January 31, 2010

3rd Post January 31, 2010

Podcast's
I listened to all of the podcasts and I definitely liked some more than others. Listening to podcasts can be a bit boring, because the voice of the person talking doesn’t keep my attention for long. The smart board podcasts was okay. I could hardly understand what he was saying because there was some other type of noise in the background. Learning about smart board was interesting because I don’t know much about it. It’s a tool that I would like to be able to use in my future classroom. The next podcast that I listened to was the kidcast. I enjoyed listening to this podcast and liked the music that was played at the beginning to introduce the show. That was really neat. I heard about the difference in Video podcast and just a podcast. He really did well with distinguishing these two topics. So, as I continue listening to these different podcasts I am starting to warm up more and more to these podcasts.


The third podcast that I listened to was EdTechTalk. When the recording first came on I thought I was listening to a robot. It was a bit awkward at first. I don’t think that this podcast gave me any ideas that I could use for when I begin teaching. I listened to the Connect Learning podcast and once again I enjoyed the music to start off the podcast. I listened to episode 90 and heard some good ideas for helping students remember with school lessons. I listened to the Macbreak podcast next. I didn’t know how it would help me because, I don’t own anything that has to do with Mac and Apple. When I listened to this podcast it sounded like I was listening to an advertisement on the radio. They really didn’t say much about what could help me in the future when I begin teaching. They just talked about the different gadgets like the iPod nano and I didn’t find this podcast helpful at all. The last podcast was This Week in Photography. I like photography, but I didn’t really enjoy this podcast. They rambled too much for me. I thought I would continue to warm up to the podcasts, but it didn’t really happen.

Here's What's Coming

This is amazing that a one year old learned how to use an I Phone. I don't own an I Phone so I don't know how to work one, but I could learn just like he did. It may be amazing that a one year old learned this, but it's not shocking to me. Because like most children they watch someone else doing some activity and they learn from it and then they are doing it. What would have been shocking to me is if the one year old could text message. I will be ready to start teaching students who may be more media literate than me. I'm not afraid to teach a child who knows how to work a computer. It's not like the child will tell me how to teach if I don't teach them from a computer. The child will just go with it.


Media Literacy in the 1st Grade/Little Kids Big Potential
I really enjoyed watching this video. It's nice to see young children already begin to learn how to become more media literate. Even though they are only in the first grade, I wonder if they are also being taught the dangers of the internet. I was very happy to see that when leaving a comment to the class, the teacher has to approve the comment before it is shown to the public. So if someone writes a comment that is inappropriate then she can handle it without the students finding out about it. This classroom seems like the kids really enjoy it. Because they are not just learning from a book, but also being able to expand their minds with learning how to blog and upload their assignments to the computer. It's a great idea! I wonder how the parents feel about this learning experience for their children. Were all of the parents accepting or were there some who didn't agree with the teacher s way of teaching?

5 comments:

  1. I am with you on the podcasts being a tad bit boring! I also agree that the SmartBoard lessons were interesting because it was information that we could use in our classrooms one day. I think the point of this assignment was just for us to learn about podcasts, but I agree it was hard to pay attention when it wasn't something dealing with education. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katherine,
    I agree with you on podcasts. Some of the podcasts were not as interesting as the others. Many of them did not keep my attention either. I also agree with you about teaching children that may be more literate than me on a computer. We as teachers should all be open to learning with our students as well as teaching our students. I sure do hope the parents were supportive of their children learning these new technologies! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine,

    You made a good point about how we need to make sure that our children are protected while we use technology. This is an important issue that always needs to be addressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listen to talk radio a lot, but they're professionals, and I agree with you that sometimes they're not so easy on the ears. Like Lauren said, I also think it was for us to become familiar with podcasting in general...

    I love your idea of uploading assignments as well! This could also be a great tool to help students who have a different home language and maybe even students with dyslexia who could listen along with text!

    ReplyDelete
  5. when I said "..they're not so easy on the ears ..." earlier, I meant the podcasts :)

    ReplyDelete