Thursday, February 11, 2010

5th Post Assignment: Febuary 14, 2010

Happy Valentines Day!

NPR/ The Wired Story
These articles were interesting. When I first saw this assignment I didn't know what I would I would be reading. I knew that information could be changed on Wikipedia by any person, but I didn't know or never really thought about someone/company would actually change their own information to make it look good or make someone else look bad. Virgil Griffith came up with a great tool for Wikipedia.

Do I believe that Wikipedia could ever be a trusted and reliable source? Hmm... Anything is possible. For Wikipedia to become a trusted source they shouldn't allow an anonymous user to change information at least keep the users who has an account. Then when something changes everyone will already know who changed it. But then again companies could create an alias and still change the information. Well I guess Wikipedia would just have to cut out allowing outside sources changing information and they hire people to change the information when situations happen. Which could possibly help Wikipedia to then become a trusted source.

What I've Learned This Year?
I really enjoyed this post by Mr. McClung. His post was very inspiring for future teachers. Everything that he discussed in his post are things that I have thought about wanting to do when I become a teacher. I want to be there for my students and have them trust me. I want them to be able to know that I'm here to help them not criticize them for every mistake they make. When you become a teacher you have to remember you were once that student sitting in a desk and remember how we felt about our teachers. I loved how Mr. McClung discussed the lesson plans and activities not going perfect. How it's okay and to not get frustrated when everything doesn't go right. You really can't show the students that you are just as scared as they are about the first day of school. Well maybe you can, then you all can talk about it and not be nervous anymore together. It would be a bonding tool to get over the first day jitters. I love having the students taking the end of the year survey because then you can know how your students felt about you. Getting positive feedback from your students really makes you feel like you are doing your job and more.

Comment4Kids

This week I commented on Michael N student blog. He wrote about a book called, "Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankwieler." I told him that I really enjoyed reading his post and gave him a positive comment. Michael wrote that he really enjoyed this book and couldn't put it down. He seems to have a love for books. He also talked about the character that he can relate to. The character likes to save money and so does Michael. I really liked that part because I know that a lot of kids don't really care to save their money, but Michael is different.

1 comment:

  1. Katherine,
    I completely agree with you when you say that when we are teachers, we have to remember we were once students sitting behind those desks. We were wanting help not to be criticized, and I also believe Mr. McClung's words of wisdom are going to help us in our futures as educators!

    ReplyDelete