Saturday, February 27, 2010

7th Assignment: February 28, 2010

Richard Miller: This is How We Dream
I enjoyed these videos. The use of the pictures, words, and other videos with his voice makes a nice and organized video. This video was very neat, I enjoyed looking at the different things he used. I have never seen some of the things that he was doing in the video, but I will learn how to do the things that he did.

"Are you prepared to write with multimedia?" I do feel prepared to write with multimedia. If there is a new multimedia that I don't know of then I will just learn it. I also do most of my school work and projects without having to go to the library. Unless it's required that we have to use a book as a source then that is the only time that I go to the library. I have learned a lot about different educational technologies and have accustomed to using them so using multimedia will be no problem for me.

"Will your students be able to do this?" Since kids these days are learning about technology and at a very young age learning how to work a iPod/iPhone then I do believe that future students will be able to do this. This is nothing compared to the other technologies that they already know of. If there are some students who may not have the funds to a computer and don't know how to work with multimedia, I will make sure that they learn it so they want feel left out.

Wendy Drexler: The Networked Student
I really enjoyed this video. The drawings and different topics were very organized. I loved the name of the high school '21st Century High School.' There is so much information that can be found without even using a textbook. The video discussed a lot of the things that I am learning in EDM 310 with PLN and blogging. When I first heard about mp3 players and iPods I thought they could only be used for music and video, but now I know that can be used as an educational tool as well. They can also be used to listen to lectures from any college or university and with different subject areas.

"Why does a networked student even need a teacher?" I have thought about this question myself and have even wondered if in the future kids will still need teachers to be there. Students will always need a teacher to be there. Even in the future with all the different technologies, students will still need to know how to properly use those tools. Someone will need to be there to show them how it needs to be used. I loved the answer that was expressed in the video. I'm happy to know that teachers will still be needed in the future.

"Are you prepared to be a teacher of a networked student?" I will be prepared to be a teacher of a networked student. As I continue to learn about the different educational tools and found out what they do and how they can be used, I'm adding them to my list of materials that I would want to have for my students. I'm not fully prepared right now, but when that time comes I will be prepared to teach any student who is tech literate.

Michael Wesch
I once again enjoyed Mr. Wesch video. I found that a lot of the things that he touched on was so true. I loved he used different t.v. shows to go along with his discussion. Now when I watch South Park and The Simpsons I'm going to remember this video which isn't a bad thing. I found it very true that the generation who grew up in the 90s(my generation) use the word 'whatever' a lot. I have even used it several times throughout my life. I have never said 'Eh' or 'Meh' but I have heard Eh before. I didn't even know of Meh. I loved how he incorporated Youtube into his discussion. Those Numbers were very much believable. Also when he used some of his students to start video blogging the comments were very true. I haven't video recorded myself, but using audacity a lot of my classmates found it weird because they felt they were talking to themselves. When I take pictures, I want to make sure that everything is in its place and the picture will come out looking how I want it or better. I'm not worried with how the younger generation will be when I become a teacher. Every generation is different from the clothes to their facial expression and even the words that they use in their vocabulary.


Personal Learning Network
My Personal Learning consist of:
These sites are similar and different information. All are about using technology in the classroom, but may be with different grade levels. The Teaching All Students blog is a site where technology is used in a special education setting which is very helpful for me because that is my major.

Comments4Kids
This week I commented on a Melville Intermediate Room 8 blog. They posted about their school worm farm. They had a slide showing of pictures of the students putting waste into the farms for the worms to eat off of. It was pretty neat. I love how instead of throwing away their food they use it to feed the worms. Like I told their class, "Our waste is another person or worm treasure." I also received a comment back from the teacher. I posted what he said below. This was the first time I had ever received a reply back from a teacher and the feeling was unbelievable. I'm looking forward to receiving more replies.

Mr. Webb reply:
Thank you so much for your comment that you left on our class blog in New Zealand. The students still have to put the caption on the post, but the worm farm is for the food scraps that are produced from the left over food. In New Zealand the students have to bring their own lunch to school and although we have a school canteen (or tuck shop) most students bring their own lunch. The left over food is then put into the worm bins and eaten by the worms, and we use the liquid waste to fertilize the plants.

I wanted to thank you personally for the comment as well because the students were excited by hearing we had a comment from the USA, we'll read through it as a class tomorrow morning. Its hugely empowering for students to have their work viewed from anywhere in the world and they have a huge fascination with the USA because of its cultural influence (one of the students was able to state their was a song about Alabama when we had a quick conversation about it, which is pretty good its usually not very much!) and what they see in the media, thank you again.
Mr Webb, Classroom Teacher, Melville Intermediate School, Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you that teachers will be needed in the evolution of the classroom. If future students are anything like me, they are going to need ALOT of help. It's not that teacher's will not be teaching, but they will be teaching in different ways.

    ReplyDelete